Cricket Centenary badge
Bere Regis Cricket Club
This website is
sponsored by:

Cricket Match reports and Results 2003

Final League Tables












































Dorchester II














Broadstone II







Blandford II







Wimborne II
















































Corfe Mullen II
























Lytchett Matravers









Bere Regis' Sunday XI clinched the Division Five league title with a gutsy win at home to Lytchett Matravers. Batting first, Bere were in deep, deep trouble at 19-5 however all-rounder Matt Tatchell showed his undoubted quality by scoring a magnificent 78, ably backed by Pete Macklin (30) and Shane Hewitt (28) to guide Bere Regis to 176.

For the second week running Bere showed character in the field when at times it seemed that victory was going away from them. Tatchell completed his day with four wickets to help Bere dismiss Lytchett for 132 and to start the title celebrations.


 4th May - Ferndown 114ao (R.Fripp 3-29, G.Davis 2-12) Bere Regis 118-3 (M.Tatchell 51no N.Cheeseman 23no)

 Bere Regis won by Seven Wickets

 11th May - Branksome 77ao (R.Davis 5-19, P.Fripp 3-25) Bere Regis 78-5 (C.Way 31)

 Bere Regis won by Five Wickets

 25th May - Bere Regis 172-6 (T.Bennett 45no D.Scott 44) Sherborne 69ao (P.Fripp 3-13)

 Bere Regis won by 103 runs

 1st June - Bere Regis 210-8 (T.Bennett 40, G.Price 37) Beaminster 134ao (P.Macklin 4-31)

 Bere Regis won by 76 runs

 8th June - Bere Regis 261-5 (M.Price 54, D.Scott 45no) Corfe Mullen II 173-6

 Bere Regis won by 88 runs

 15th June - Bere Regis 188ao (P.Macklin 49no M.Price 32) Lytchett Matravers 189-3

 Lytchett Matravers won by Seven Wickets

 22nd June - Speedliners 90ao (R.Fripp 3-9) Bere Regis 91-9 (D.Scott 48)

 Bere Regis won by One Wicket

 6th July - Bere Regis 190-4 (D.Rogerson 78no M.Tatchell 44) Ferndown 124ao (M.Tatchell 4-40)

 Bere Regis won by 66 runs

 13th July - Branksome 184ao (D.Rogerson 4-30) Bere Regis 188-6 (D.Scott 57no)

 Bere Regis won by Four Wickets.

Dorchester & District Evening Cricket League Match Reports

Wednesday 7th May 2003 DDECL 1st Round cup (18 over game)

Bere Regis 95 for 6 (S Hewitt 26, T Bennett 21, A Green 19)

Plush 92 all out (S Cheeseman 3-14, P Fripp 3-17, N White 3-37)

Bere's evening league campaign started with a home cup-tie against Plush. Bere were keen to do well as last year they fell to top class opposition in the first round. Bere batted first and the opening pair of Nick Cheeseman and Tom Bennett got off to a good start, until Cheeseman was bowled in the fourth over through the gate. This brought Russell Hewitt to the crease. Hewitt and Bennett put on a quick fire 23 before Hewitt fell, being caught of the bowling of G. Watson. Shane Hewitt then came to the crease and him and Bennett could only put on 8 runs for the third wicket when Bennett was bowled for 21. Martyn Price then came and went only sticking around for two balls, which then saw Alan Green accompany Hewitt at the crease. Green and Hewitt put on 41 for the fifth wicket as Green was run out by some good work by the Plush fielders for 19. Nick White then came to the crease in the hope of some quick runs, with his good running between the wickets. In the last over Hewitt was caught on the long-on boundary for 26, leaving Nick White and Steve Cheeseman to see out the 18 overs. White ended on 2 not out and Cheeseman on 0 not out. Bere managed a modest total of 95 off their 18 overs leaving the supporters to wonder if it would be enough to seal the win. Bere now had to defend a very modest total against a good batting line up. Bere's opening bowlers of Steve Cheeseman and Paul Fripp started well with Fripp taking two wickets in the first over. Cheeseman was also keen to keep up the good work by taking a wicket in his first over. Bere were on top when they had the visitors at the end of the fifth over, with 4 wickets down and with a mere 11 runs on the board. Then the Plush middle order started to get their eye in and Bere were struggling to get a break through for the fifth wicket. Then Nick White came into the attack and got the break through which saw a Plush partnership of 62. White then took another wicket later that over and Bere were beginning to take control again. With some good tight bowling by Cheeseman and Gren Davis this match was certain to go all the way to the wire. Bere finished up taking the last four wickets with White getting one and Cheeseman getting two. The last wicket would fall with a run out in the last over, leaving Bere to celebrate their 3 run win, and celebrate first round victory against top flight opposition.

Friday 9th May 2003 Division 2 (16 over game)

Bere Regis 56 all out (M Price 12, R Hewitt 10, S Hewitt 9)

Cheselbourne 61 for 2 (G Davis 1-23, R Davis 0-6, S Cheeseman 0-8)

Bere then had to travel to Cheselbourne for the first game of their league campaign. Cheselbourne who for most people would be the favourites for the Division two title would be a tough task. Bere batted first in this 16 overs per side contest with Martyn Price and Charlie Way leading the way. Way fell for 4 at the end of the second over being bowled. Russell Hewitt then came to the crease and was not there for long when he had to retire hurt. Shane Hewitt then came to the middle with Price and not long after Price fell being caught off the bowling of R. Kellaway. Hewitt then followed shortly and the middle order of White, Cheeseman, Macklin and Fripp all went cheaply leaving Bere in trouble. At the end of the 14th over Bere were 51 for 7. The bottom order of Rick Davis, Gren Davis and Roy Phillips all tried to offer resistance but they fell aswell-leaving Bere 56 all out after 16 overs. Bere came out to field with just a glimmer of hope that they may be able to cause an upset and win! The opening bowlers of Bere started slowly but they never really got going. Cheeseman bowled tightly but could not find that ball to pick up a wicket. Gren Davis then came into the attack and in his first over took a wicket courtesy of a good catch from Steve Cheeseman. Bere had them at 31 for 1 and Bere had already accepted that the game was beyond them, but just four runs later Bere took another wicket with a run out. From then on the Cheselbourne numbers 3 and 4 never looked back and the match was wraped up with the Cheselbourne batsmen only needing 13.5 overs to complete the victory. Overall a disappointing performance by the Regis, and they would need to improve if they were to stay in this League.

Tuesday 13th May 2003 Division 2 (18 over game)

Bere Regis 80 for 4 (P Macklin 27no, N Cheeseman 26, S Hewitt 10)

Abbotsbury 81 for 7 (S Cheeseman 3-18, R Davis 2-16, G Davis 1-18)

Bere then went to Abbotsbury to try and get their evening league campaign back on track. At the start the captains decided that the game would be 18 overs per side. The toss was then done and it found that Bere would be batting first and making use of the good light. The Bere opening pair would have another change with Martyn Price pairing the in form Nick Cheeseman. Bere started the first over loosing their first wicket with Martyn Price falling at the last ball of the over being caught behind for 0. Russell Hewitt then came to the middle and him and Cheeseman put on 35 with some big hitting from Cheeseman, which included two sixes and three fours, until he fell being caught in the deep for 26. Shane Hewitt then came to the crease and 8 runs later Russell Hewitt was dismissed being bowled for just 8. Bere were 43 for 3. Pete Macklin then met Shane Hewitt at the wicket the pair of them found it hard to get away the tight bowling that they faced. Hewitt then became frustrated and swung out at a straight ball and that was the end, as he headed for the pavilion with 10 runs. Pete Macklin and Charlie Way kept the board ticking over slowly. In the last over Macklin made the score more respectable by hitting a huge 20, which included two sixes, a four and two two's, leaving Bere a total 80 of their allotted overs. Bere entered the field confident that they could bowl the west Dorset side out. There bowling would have to be exemplary for them to prevail. The opening bowlers started well with Cheeseman picking up a wicket in his second over, with another good catch from Gren Davis. Cheeseman then struck again in his forth over with an excellent delivery to bowl the Abbotsbury number 3. Bere had the home side at 27 for 2 after the seventh over. Paul Fripp then decided to get in on the act bowling the number 4 batsmen. Abbotsbury's number's 5 and 6 fell to a father and son patnership with Gren and Rick Davis doing the damage. Bere had their opponents at 51 for 5 after the12th and were confident they could pull of the victory. Rick Davis then trapped the opener LBW and Bere were on top. Cheeseman then came back into the attack and took a wicket with a good catch from Pete Macklin. It came to the last over of the game and abbotsbury needed 4 from it, Rick Davis was hit for four off the third ball of his last over and the game was over. Bere had performed much better but they were still looking for that elusive first win.

Thursday 22nd May 2003 Division 2 (16 over game)

Bere Regis 112 for 5 (R Hewitt 65, A Green 22no, T Bennett 8)

Martinstown 89 for 8 (R Davis 4-24, N White 2-21, P Fripp 1-12)

Bere continued their campaign with a trip to Martinstown, on a dull May evening. The captains decided that the contest would be 16 overs per side. Again Bere batted first to try to make good use of the not so present light. Again Nick Cheeseman and Tom Bennett opened the innings for Bere. Cheeseman went in the first over being bowled around his legs for 0. Russell Hewitt then came to the crease and him and Bennett put on 26 before Bennett was trapped leg before for 8. Shane Hewitt then entered the crease and fell 7 minutes later being bowled for 1. Then Russell Hewitt and Alan Green took up the challenge with some big hitting and some quick singles. The pair put on 70 before Hewitt was caught in the deep for 65. Nick White then went to the crease and fell first ball leaving Green and Steve Cheeseman to finish up the innings 112 for 5, Green finishing on 22 not out and Cheeseman on 1 not out. Bere then entered the field with Martinstown needing 7 an over. Steve Cheeseman and Paul Fripp opened the bowling and Fripp got the break through in the forth over with a peach of a delivery. Cheeseman then got his break through the next over having the Martinstown number 2 batsmen caught behind. Rick Davis then came into the attack and bowled well in the wet conditions taking 2 wickets in his first over, leaving Martinstown 46 for 4 after the 10th over. Nick White then came into the attack and took a wicket in his first over. Davis then continued the good work by taking another 2 wickets in his second over and Nick White would also take a wicket in his last over leaving Martinstown on 89 for 8 after their 16 overs. This being a very good performance from the Bere boys in difficult conditions.

Thursday 29th May 2003 Division 2 (18 over game)

Bere Regis 133 for 3 (N Cheeseman 54, R Hewitt 37no, S Hewitt 13)

Puddletown II 112 for 7 (R Davis 2-27, S Cheeseman 2-37, G Davis 1-22)

Bere came to the rec in search of another evening league win. Once again Bere were to set the total, and the opening pair of Nick Cheeseman and Tom Bennett would lead the way. Starting slowly 15 was on the board when Bennett fell being caught at cover with a missed timed stroke. Russell Hewitt then came to the crease and the pace started to pick up with Cheeseman and Hewitt doing some big hitting. Hewitt then had to retire hurt on 37, and would play no further part in the game. Shane Hewitt then entered the square and him and Cheeseman would put on a brief partnership before Hewitt was bowled for the unlucky 13. Graham Price would then be run out on the last ball of the innings without facing a ball, leaving Cheeseman on 54 not out, which included 5 fours and 4 sixes and with a good knock under his belt. Bere entered the field keeping up the good work they had done with the bat. Paul Fripp and Rick Davis would open the bowling. Davis got the early break through bowling the number 2, and then the Pudletown number 1 fell after being run out. Paul Fripp then got in on the act taking the third wicket. Gren Davis would then take the forth and Rick Davis would take the fifth wickets respectively. Steve Cheeseman then came into the attack and took two wickets and bowled tightly leaving the visitors 22 runs short of victory at the end of their allotted overs.

Tuesday 3rd June 2003 DDECL 2nd Round cup (20 over game)

Bere Regis 64 all out (P Fripp 14, D Rogerson 10, S Cheeseman 9no)

Abbotsbury 64 for 1 (P Macklin 0-7, S Cheeseman 0-15, N White 0-18)

Bere re-visited Abbotsbury for the 2nd round of the knockout cup. Knowing how Bere struggled to score on the wicket earlier in the season Bere were invited to bat. This time it was to be Nick Cheeseman and Martyn Price to open the batting. They started slowly finding the ball hard to get away. Then in the forth over two wickets fell. Cheeseman fell being bowled for 7 and Price was run out for just 3. That meant that at the end of the forth over Dean Rogerson and Tom Bennett were at the crease, and they could only put on a partnership of 5 before Bennett was bowled for 2. Peter Macklin then came to the middle and him and Rogerson only put 4 on the board before Macklin was slow of the mark and was run out for 0. That brought Shane Hewitt to the crease and again no partnership got going as Rogerson was caught for 10. Alan Green then joined the crease but was dismissed for 1 being trapped LBW. Nick White then was bowled and Bere were in trouble at 32 for 7. Then Hewitt was bowled for 8 leaving Steve Cheeseman and Paul Fripp at the crease who put on the first partnership of the match of 28, before Fripp was bowled for a useful 14. Gren Davis was the last man in and all hopes of him putting up some resistance were dashed as his was caught and bowled, leaving Cheeseman at the crease on 9 not out. Bere took to the field with little hope of gaining a victory. Abbotsbury raced away to 60 before a good piece of work from Gren Davis gained a run out, but Abbotsbury reached their target in 13.5 overs, leaving Bere to ponder.

Wednesday 4th June 2003 Division 2 (18 over game)

Hazelbury Bryan 134 for 4 (N White 2-48, P Fripp 1-15, P Macklin 1-36)

Bere Regis 135 for 2 (T Bennett 49no, N Cheeseman 41, P Macklin 16no)

Hazelbury Bryan was the next opponents in the evening league. Doing their homework they realised that Bere had not batted second all season and were keen to put themselves in. Bere started well and were in the driving seat after 7 overs when they had Hazelbury at 26 for 3, thanks to three good catches by Pete Macklin at the wide mid-off position. Then the Hazelbury middle order started to shine and some big hitting came into play and all of Bere's bowler's figures started to become a mess. Hazelbury finished their innings on 134 for 4. Bere's opening pair of Nick Cheeseman and Tom Bennett headed to the middle and started at a ferocious pace with 10 coming of the first over. They managed to get their way up to 80 before Cheeseman was caught for 41. Graham Price then came to the crease and scored a quick fire 7 before being bowled. Bere were now 97 for 2 after the 15th over and needed 38 off 3 overs for victory. Pete Macklin and Tom Bennett continued the big hitting and Bere required 18 off the last over. With some big hitting and some assistance from the bowler Bere needed 4 off the last ball to win the game with Bennett on strike. Bennett pulled the ball square of the wicket over the boundary with some assistance from the fielder to gain victory for Bere in a magnificent win, and keep survival in Division 2 on track.

Tuesday 10th June 2003 Division 2 (18 over game)

Bere Regis 143 for 3 (N Cheeseman 51, P Macklin 37, D Rogerson 26)

Cattistock 143 for 7 (D Rogerson 3-21, P Macklin 2-19, G Davis 1-30)

Bere then travelled over the hill to Cattistock. Bere then batted first for the seventh time in the evening league campaign. Once again Bere started well with the opening pair of Nick Cheeseman and Tom Bennett that have served so well throughout the campaign. The score was at 31 when Bennett was caught on the unlucky 13. That brought Dean Rogerson to the crease and Cheeseman and him put on a good partnership of 42, before Rogerson was bowled for 26. Peter Macklin then came to the wicket and with some big hitting and some good running him and Cheeseman pushed the score to 142 before Cheeseman was bowled for 51 with 1 ball to spare. Shane Hewitt then faced the last ball and scrambled a single to bring the score to 143 for 3. Bere then quickly returned to the field feeling confident that they had enough runs on the board for victory. Peter Macklin and Paul Fripp then opened the bowling and bowled well but could not get the break through. This meant that Gren Davis and Dean Rogerson were brought into the attack and in the 9th over with the score on 81 Davis got the break through with a good catch from Nick White on the boundary. The next over Rogerson got his first wicket and Bere were back in it. Rogerson then got another two wickets in the 12th over and with Cattistock on 100 for 4 after 12 overs the game could go any way. Macklin then got his first wicket in his 4th over and the score was 128 for 5, Macklin then got his second wicket the next over, and a good piece of work from Roy Phillips in the field led to the 7th wicket falling. The last over came and 13 runs were needed for victory. Nick white was to bowl it. Cattistock managed to scrape 12 runs from a good over that deserved more from it, and the game would end in a tie with the game played in true spirit.

Wednesday 18th June 2003 Division 2 (18 over game)

Bere Regis 135 for 2 (S Hewitt 46no, D Rogerson 39no, T Bennett 15)

Puddletown II 79 for 7 (P Macklin 3-2, G Davis 2-20, N White 1-5)

Bere then went to Puddletown to play the penultimate away game of the season. Once again as on so many occasions Bere would set target, and the trusty pair of Nick Cheeseman and Tom Bennett would open he innings. They started well but with the score on 28 Bennett was caught for 15. Dean Rogerson then came to the crease and put on a partnership of 4 with Cheeseman before, Cheeseman was bowled missing a full toss for 11. The score was 32 for 2 and that left Shane Hewitt and Rogerson at the crease, and with some big hitting from Rogerson and some quick running between the wickets they started to push the score up. With five overs to go, and chickens in the hutch they went to hit out but the runs kept flowing leaving Bere with a useful total of 135 off their 18 overs, and a partnership of 103 from Hewitt and Rogerson. Puddletown came out to bat needing 7.5 runs an over for victory and some tight bowling from Bere's bowlers should make the victory comfortable. Steve Cheeseman and Gren Davis opened the bowling, and in the 4th over Davis got the break through taking two wickets. The Puddletown numbers 3 and 4 put together a useful partnership and Bere were getting worried, but then in the 10th over Roy Phillips got a vital wicket. Four overs later Nick White then got his first wicket leaving Puddletown to get 64 of 4 overs. The next over Pete Macklin took three wickets for just 1 run and the game was beyond Puddletown as they finished on 79 for 7 wickets after their 18 overs.

Wednesday 25th June 2003 Division 2 (20 over game)

Bere Regis 145 for 6 (D Rogerson 58, S Cheeseman 28no, R Hewitt 16)

Cheselbourne 137 for 8 (P Fripp 1-25, S Cheeseman 1-30, N White 1-42)

Cheselbourne were the next side to make the trip to the rec. Bere were keen to show the title favourites that they could put up a fight and were no walkover. Bere batted first and the usual pairing of Cheeseman and Bennett would set Bere on their way. Cheeseman was the first to go being caught in the third over for a disappointing 5. Dean Rogerson and Bennett would then take up the challenge and put on a useful partnership of 22, before Bennett was surprisingly bowled through that water tight defence for only 4. With the score at 28 for 2 a partnership was needed and Shane Hewitt and Rogerson produced a partnership of 23 before Hewitt was bowled for 5. Peter Macklin then wanted to join Hewitt and Cheeseman by scoring 5, and was dismissed being caught for 5. It would then be Steve Cheeseman and Rogerson to take up the challenge and with some good running between the wickets and big hitting they would take the score to 99, before a mix up in the running department meant Rogerson was dismissed for a well deserved 58. Russell Hewitt would enter at a low number 7 spot and hit a quick fire 16 in 9 balls, before being bowled with the score at 118. Paul Fripp and Cheeseman would then take the score to 145 of 20 overs, with Fripp finishing on 11 not out and Cheeseman on 28 not out. Bere's opening bowlers of Fripp and Nick White bowled well and with the score on 9 Cheselbourne's openers tried to scramble a single but a sharp piece of fielding from Peter Macklin resulted in the first wicket falling. Fripp would get the second wicket of the match in his third over with a peach of a delivery. The Cheselbourne middle order started to shine before a partnership of 32 was broken by a Steve Cheeseman delivery. Another partnership of 56 would see Cheselbourne well on their way to victory, but as two quick wickets fell after that Cheselbourne were 125 for 6 after 18 overs and needed 21 off two overs for victory. 7 runs off the 19th over meant that 14 runs were needed off the last over, but a well bowled last over by Pete Macklin meant that Bere would cause a upset and beat the title favourites, with a great team performance.


11 May BRANKSOME 77 allout BERE REGIS 78 for 5

13 May BERE REGIS 80 for 4 ABBOTSBURY 81 for 7 (Evening League match)

17 May BERE REGIS V PIMPERNE (cancelled-rain)

18 May LITTLEDOWN PARK V BERE REGIS (cancelled-rain)


3 May

NSA Dorset Cricket League Saturday Division 2


237 for 8

(N White 3-26)


112 for 9

(A Kent 19, N Cheeseman 19)

4 May

NSA Dorset Cricket League Sunday Division 5


114 allout

(R Fripp 3-29)


118 for 3

(M Tatchell 51no, N Cheeseman 23no.)

7 May

Dorchester & District Evening League Knockout Cup Round One


95 for 6

(S Hewitt 26, A Green 19)


92 allout

(P Fripp 3-17, S Cheeseman 3-14, N White 3-37)

Sat 3 May 2003. NSA Dorset Cricket Saturday League Division 2 BROADSTONE II V BERE REGIS

Cricket has returned to the BRACA (Bere Regis Athletic Cricket Association) once again, as they embarked on their 20th season in the league since the heady days of reformation back in 1983. The club celebrated a triple promotion from the fruits of their 2002 season's labour, and even managed to coax former Chairman and head drinker Duffy Pearce from his hideout in Weymouth to present the awards last November to the Saturday XI.

For the present the time has come for all to be focused on the tasks that lie ahead. There can be no bigger challenge for the Saturday XI and their diminutive captain Peter 'Gilersuriya' Cheeseman returned for another season at the helm of what promises to be a turbulent season on the pitch. Old foes and demons have to be confronted during the season, and the first encounter that the league's faithful old fixture computer threw up for Bere was a trip to old adversaries Broadstone II.

An arid late March and on into April has given many groundsmen and greenkeepers headaches up and down the land. It was ironic that as soon as the cricket season approached then the weather would markedly deteriorate. The Bere Selectors were given an almighty mountain to climb for the first round of fixtures as no fewer than eight players were out injured or unavailable. Rick 'Papa Smurf' Davis had succumbed to a debilitating shoulder injury and crucially Ian Hardy last season's premier strike bowler had gone the entire Winter nursing a similar ailment. In addition to this were injuries to Chris Oram (knee) and Dean Rogerson (hand) the outlook was as bleak as the weather for the trip to a sodden Delph Woods.

After a conscious decision was made for the game to go ahead, Bere won the toss and bowled given the impending conditions and a weather forecast about as reliable as the stock market. As it turned out the clouds abated by inches during the day to give comfortable conditions at the end. The wicket was deemed to be a slight on the slow side, with Bere hoping to harvest w wicket or two early on, and young all rounder Nick White duly delivered with two quick scalps in his first three overs.

The Broadstone machine was gearing up for a mammoth total however being 82 for 2 after the first 20 overs. Essentially it was a flawless hundred from the home captain that sent Bere reeling and crashing to a titanic defeat. Bere's fielding was distinctly flat-footed and would surely improve over the coming weeks with bigger challenges ahead such as Swanage and Wimborne.

Bere's reply was muted in the extreme with nobody recording a significant contribution other than Andy Kent and Nick 'Slick' Cheeseman both registering 19, yet the score was helped along to 112 for 9 with the captain unbeaten on 12 at the death.

Sun 4 May 2003. NSA Dorset Cricket Sunday League Division 5 BERE REGIS V FERNDOWN

The Sunday XI captain-Martyn 'Poomy' Price also resided over a team that had been the subject of a promotion from 2002. The league's restructuring and the withdrawal of teams had meant that Bere were elevated to division 5 of the Sunday section and the division was further reduced following the announcement that Mowers of Owermoigne had pulled. So 16 contests waited Bere's Sunday heroes. The first was Ferndown at home.

The Poom had secured the signing coup of Matt Tatchell on an extended contract from last season, so Bere's challenge would have an added impetus as the explosive Tatchell can turn games on their heads. The backbone of the team remained messrs. Fripp (R & P) A Green, M Price D Scott with an assortment of graduates from the GT Cricket Academy. There was no mystery about the Ferndown innings' early overs as Reg Fripp carved his way to figures of 3 for 17, and it was a position that the visitors could barely recover from. All Bere's bowlers chipped in with wickets shared and Ferndown were restricted to 114 allout from 44.4 overs.

Bere had the task of scoring 115 at 2.5 runs per overs, so a circumspect approach was expected from Bere's openers, yet Fripp had only added 12 before falling and the captain himself could muster only 4 runs, and Bere were 48 for 3 and in an early spot of bother. The pairing of The Slick and Tatchell for the fourth wicket was the pivotal moment in the game as they added 75 unbeaten runs with some solid yet chancy strokeplay to steer Bere home. Tatchell went to his fifty off the last ball with a straight drive that rattled off the sightscreen next to the press enclosure. So a great start for the Sunday boys, but less so for the Saturday outfit.

Weds 7 May 2003 Dorchester & District Evening League Knockout Cup Round One BERE REGIS V PLUSH

The Evening League gave Bere a tremendous opportunity to blood new and young talent in a competitive arena during 2002. They too had achieved promotion in their inaugural season and the schedule has become tougher giving an extra three games, the first being a home cup tie in the first round of the knockout cup against Plush of division one.

It was the second year running that Bere had faced top flight opposition in the cup, and were wary of the experience and ability that they were up against with Plush being an established side in the league. The Bear, Monstaah, Eric Hall and Shrek (to name but a few nicknames) had to captain the side as Pete Macklin was on holiday. The Bear had no hesitation in batting first and agreeing that the game should be 18 overs per side given the imminent failing light in early May.

The Slick in his third game in five days was requested to open the innings with the ever present Texas Tom Bennett who was playing on the back of an impressive first campaign last year. The brief from the captain was to rotate the strike, and The Slick followed this instruction to the letter putting his young counterpart through his paces, before he once again opened up the infamous Golden Gate to be bowled through bat and pad for a swift 9 runs,

The Bear had opted for the number three spot in order to apply enough deep heat to get through the night. He added 11 runs before holing out at extra cover. Three wickets fell in the forties before the sprightly Alan Green hooked up with the left-handed Shane Hewitt. It was their positive approach to the running between the sticks that impressed the growing crowd on a balmy May evening that was perfectly suited to the game. They had a maximum of six overs to take Bere to a total worth defending, and there was mass terrace talk of what score would be enough. The captain had settled for 90.

The 15th over was key to the Bere innings as they plundered 14 runs including a magnificent six from Shane Hewitt that cleared one of the largest boundaries on Plaintain Park. Eventually there was one quick run too many and Green was run out sacrificing his wicket for the cause, a trademark of his epic career at the BRACA. Hewitt remained to resume the run chase with Nick White and they took the score along to 95 for 6.

The visitors were keen to shift along with the daylight shortening fast. They signalled their intentions with some big hitting from the start, and Bere assisted this with some extras for the scorers to ponder. However it was a dream start for Bere as they took four wickets in the first three overs. Paul Fripp removed the leg stump of a Plush opener, followed by a moment of pure athleticism from The Bear at short mid-on snapping up a catch just millimetres from the turf. There were two supremely well-judged catches from the young Gren Elphinstone-Davis, and Plush were 7 for 4 with Bere sensing an upset in the making against the division one side.

Plush possessed some players of power and experience and they had held some in reserve with their 5th wicket they batted themselves into contention with selective hitting and some astute decision making pushing Bere on the defensive. The home side's grip on the game was severely, almost fatally weakened as Plush's score progressed to 69 for 4 with 31 needed off 4 overs. Nick White was thrust into the fray. His ability to take wickets at crucial time came to the fore as he dismissed the dangerous Plush number 6 for 38 with a low dipping full toss that hit the base of the stumps. Four runs later he removed the Plush captain and Bere were back in the game, yet the dark was turning to gloom as the sun disappeared over Snow Hill. The game ebbed and flowed yet Bere took a vital 5 wickets for 10 runs with Nick White (3-35) and Steve Cheeseman (3-14) taking the home favourites to the brink, but a dogged last wicket stand in the dew and black night gave for a classic encounter.

Plush required 15 rom the final over with the young White to bowl it. The vast crowd prayed for a wicket, yet the home side were happy to concede singles as the visitors needed boundaries. they got one from the fourth ball setting up a frantic finale. The last ball was edged over the keeper-Shane Hewitt yet Cheeseman had retreated to the boundary and was able to collect and return for a gleeful Hewitt to remove the bails and secure a three run win.

It was a match played in the true spirit of the game, being a great advertisement for the league. After an immense display of captaincy from Bere's skipper, they now have to travel in round two to face either Abbotsbury (who they play there on 13 May) or last season's opposition-Post Office.


Coming off the back of two straight home cancellations, Bere’s premier XI made the trip to Wimborne 2nds knowing that they were rooted to the foot of the division two table, being winless after three weeks. The omens were not healthy as storm clouds imposed themselves all around the Cranborne Chase, closing in inexorably on Wimborne’s historic town centre ground.

Bere captain- Pete ‘Gilersuriya’ Cheeseman won the toss and decided to bowl given the impending weather. The game started in sunshine, and Bere’s bowlers were about to toil on a wicket made for batting. The opening attack was beardman Rick Davis and Chris ‘Mountain Man’ Holland. Between them they applied the brakes to the Wimborne advance. Davis claimed the first wicket with an induced edge to first slip, and his co-bowler Holland grabbed a catch using his hawk-like reflexes.

What followed was a progressive run of wickets for Bere against a slightly pedestrian run rate for the home side. The score at thirty overs read 91 for 4, were Bere’s frontline (only in fact) spinner Dean ‘The Postman’ Rogerson capturing two wickets during the mid-session.

Sensing the need for acceleration, Wimborne took the fight to Bere and their fifth wicket stand realised some 80 runs with an array of power hitting and astute running. In the hunt for points Bere lost their way, but a tidy and stingy fielding performance kept the home score below 200, and tow more wickets were secured to claim a vital three bowling points.

The target of 185 was very ‘gettable’ given the even pace and bounce of the pitch and the fact that the weather had relented, although news came through that there were torrents in nearby Broadstone. Bere’s batsmen needed a comfortable start, and opening bats Dean Inzamerritt and Russell Hewitt are certainly built for comfort. They gave Bere a solid if unspectacular start off the first 15 overs before Inzamerritt departed for a scratched innings of 7.

Hewitt and former Wimborne batter Andy Kent then took Bere to 61 before the opener having survived a few scares holed out at backward square leg. After a brief blade-wielding interlude from ‘chick magnet’ Nick Black Book Carruthers, Kent and the returning Rogerson took the score along, yet Bere were woefully short on run rate. The reply frittered out on 125 with Peter Cheeseman and Paul Fripp ensuring that the home side did not achieve maximum bowling hence match points.

Saturday reports


Bere hosted Cattistock for the first time in many years with visitors’ having a formidable Roll Of Honour for a village team including regional winners of The National Village Knockout Competition. Considering that Bere’s best in that competition was the heady heights of the second round, courtesy of a bye. So one was expecting a mis-match yet cricket has long proven to be a non-respecter of reputations.

Summer arrived in the shape of high sun and temperatures in the mid-twenties, so Bere were hoping to bat first, register a healthy total defending stoutly to score their first win. All of the previous statement was true apart from most of it as events unfurled. Bere were invited to bowl and Cattistock took full advantage of the sun and pitch, with a brisk start to their innings. The ever dependable run miser Rick Davis was on song with another dozen overs of pinpoint accurate line and length.

The vast experience of the visitors was a prominent factor at the top order, and Bere laboured for a breakthrough despite two early successes. The home bowlers were juggled in vain attempts to dislodge the third wicket partnership. The liaison lasted 25 overs and was worth 110 runs giving Bere skipper Gilersuriya a problem or two in the search for points. It was The Postman who finally delivered with a catch in the deep on front of his adoring fans in the members’ enclosure. The wicket taker was fast improving pie chucker Nick ‘Slickster’ Cheeseman, but his two overs cost the cause a total of 13 runs.

Bere were staring defeat in the face and nothing could be worse than losing at home. One final push was needed from the home side, and the bowlers rallied to their captains’ cry. The final seven Cattistock wickets tumbled for 36 runs giving Bere a slender foothold on the match and with two extra overs to reach 190 or more.

Earlier in the week The Bear had damaged his back during an Evening League game so Kevin Brown returned to the ranks to pair up with Inzamerritt at the head of the innings. The team received a boost with the inclusion of ‘Browner’ whose experience is vital in the desperate hunt for survival.

Bere’s day went from bad to worse to calamitous as their first six batsmen accumulated a paltry 42 runs between them, and considering that the remaining five bats and extras contributed a further 30, it was safe to say it was not Bere’s day and it remained to be seen if Bere could pick themselves up after this season’s nadir. Yet comments such as ‘You will never win a game in this league’ from the opposing captain can only help to galvanise Bere, and act as a reminder to sharpen their game.


The preceding low point of the season so far was followed by an adventure to Shaftesbury for Bere. Their opponents had already disposed of high-flying Swanage this term so a daunting prospect was in store for ‘Gilersuriya’ and his charges. The squad was severely depleted with eight bowlers missing through injury or unavailable, so a combination of youth and youthful veterans embarked on the long journey north.

For the first time in five games, Bere batted first, and the skipper went with a subtle approach to the game by shuffling the batting order, with the result showing Nick ‘The Greek’ Carruthers batting at two with express instructions to wield the blade. The Adonis from Owermoigne has rediscovered his form with the bat of late and was the optimum choice for the role. So he paired up with Russ ‘Shrek’ Hewitt and soon had the scorers reaching for their pencil sharpeners as Bere rattled up 53 for the first wicket inside 9 overs. Yet just as he was getting set for a big score, The Black Book lost his wicket chasing a wide one, something he has been accused of in the past.

Bere undertook a period of re-building with the Bruise Brothers-Hewitt and Merritt linking up in their customary position at the head of the innings. Their contribution for the second wicket realised 70 runs with Merritt falling for 26 confidence boosting runs, and The Bear was out shortly afterwards for 40. The 27th over was a watershed for Bere as they suffered a mini collapse to 122 for 3 and Shaftesbury turned the screw.

Andy ‘AK47’ Kent so called for his punishing pull and hook shots off the back foot through square leg took up the reins with Nick Cheeseman whose Evening League form was exemplary, yet he has had difficulty transferring this to the weekend format. It all came good this, as they formed a glittering partnership to form the backbone of the Bere innings. They added 79 for the fourth wicket and Bere’s total read 202 for 5 with The Wool Stopping Service undefeated on 10, with the AK47 also unbeaten on 34.

Bere’s depleted bowling attack expected a pounding, and a reasonable burden lay on the shoulders of the opening attack of Paul Fripp and Chris ‘Mountain Man’ Holland. There was an early breakthrough as Holland bowled his usual probing length, asking serious questions of the Shaftesbury line-up. He ended up with match figures of 3 for 28 along with Fripp’s 1-45, as the home side’s reply faltered.

Bere’s captain turned to youth and vibrant veterans for the first and second change bowling. Nick Cheeseman and Gren Elphinstone-Davis accounted for a further three wickets between them, answering their captain’s call bowling with economy and precision. The centre stage was saved for and gleefully accepted by Alan ‘Sgt Wilson’ Green whose renaissance knows no boundaries. His twelve over allocation proved to be the turning point of the match for before, as not only did he bowl a miserly 6 maidens, he only conceded 13 runs and took two vital wickets moving up to 57th in the bowling rankings.

It was the first win of the year, and it could not come at a more surprising time against strong opponents, also at a crucial time given the league position.


A triumphant, jubilant and buoyant Bere returned to the BRACA after the morale boosting and much needed win at Shaftesbury. Still with the words of ‘You will never win a game in this league’ ringing in their ears Bere were eager to capitalise on their previous week’s efforts. Following a one-year hiatus Bere renewed their long-lived rivalry with Shroton who had powered their way into the top three of division two.

Bere were still short of two or three bowlers going into the game, so they were fearful of their opponents’ big hitting reputation. Shroton decided on batting first and were intent on rattling up a score of 200 plus. Keen to exploit their willingness to chase the bowling, Bere Capt. Gilersuriya pinned his hopes on spin demon Dean ‘The Postman’ Rogerson as the opening bowler alongside Chris ‘Mountain Man’ Holland. The off-spinner turned the screw and served up a possible match winning spell of 5 for 42, bowling all his twelve overs from the Village End.

Holland too got in on the party with 3 for 31 as Shroton self-destructed to 95 allout. There was a magical interlude from Jimmy ‘Dad’s Army’ Green who took two wickets in 1.2 overs without conceding a single run. The final analysis confirmed that Bere needed 96 to win from 62 overs.

With Bere’s batting about as fragile as the stock market it came as no surprise that they were soon 8 for 2 within five overs. However the previous week’s confidence booster had given the batting some badly needed momentum. The magnificent Andy Kent, undoubtedly the man in form had struck a flawless half-century at Shaftesbury, and he soon took over the controls in partnership with The Slickster. Both he and his younger charge had more than enough overs in the bag, yet they batted intelligently for the fourth wicket steering Bere into command.

With Kent batting to near perfection, all that was needed when The Slick was out for 27 was The Postman to come in and wrap up affairs. Kent remained unbeaten on 32, his average hitting dizzy heights. So victory for the second week in a row and off the bottom. Bere’s captain could afford a more relaxed look than of late. This was the first of four key games that may yet decide Bere’s fate.


It is not recommended for healthy living that you spend a day watching international one day cricket, then factor in moderate amounts of ale, pate, tequila and roaring temperatures. Three of Bere’s premier eleven who were in the team for the trip to Blandford were suffering from slight excess from watching the aforementioned cricket. None lesser than chief drinker and salesman Dean Inzamerritt who emerged considerably heavier and 2.5 shades redder from the day’s festivities.

Down to business, Bere had to win against their fellow promotees from last season-Blandford 2nds. It would cement them in mid-table and put some distance between them and their nearest rivals, and things are hotting up in division two. Not unlike the weather, with the players’ comfort reading nearly off the scale. The normal pre-match changing room aroma is Deep Heat, but this week it was in direct competition with an array of sun tan lotions including ‘Tiny Merritt’s Factor 0.1 Tanning Lard’

Blandford batted first, so Bere had to sweat it out as the young home team prepared to make a positive first use of the track. Chris ‘Mountain Man’ Holland retained his opening bowler slot, and was rejoined by Steve Cheeseman on his return from holiday. A cagey start ensued from both teams yet Blandford remained in charge but virtue of the fact all their wickets remained intact until the breakthrough came from Bere’s veteran Jurassic first change bowler-Jimmy ‘Egdon Express’ Green. His yorker undid the Blandford number 2 just as they were asserting themselves.

The introduction of spin was to prove a timely addition, as Dean ‘The Postman’ Rogerson sneaked a couple of quick wickets reducing the home side to 60 for 3. Bere’s inability to strengthen their stranglehold on games resurfaced once more, and Blandford batted with caution, yet deftly they played their way into the driving seat. A well-timed acceleration saw them past the 120 mark with 15 overs still left and seven wickets intact. The writing appeared to be on the wall for the visitors.

Then the game’s turning point happened, when The Slickster was presented with a chance for a catch at wide mid-off. His covered almost the length of a Merritt Kebab before grabbing a low two handed effort to secure the fourth wicket. From then on, Bere had some impetus in the wicket taking department. The fielding stepped up a grade and the net closed in with the primary objective of limiting Blandford to sub 200.

The Slick performed his customary role as partnership breaker with the ball as well, yet his overs were a slight expensive. The Postman returned to bag his third victim, with Steve Cheeseman also claiming three wickets and Kev Brown two catches, Blandford’s innings was concluded on 178 inside 41 overs, giving Bere a further four overs to reach their goal.

Bere’s opening batsmen knew a progressive start was needed. The wicket was helping the batsmen with some regular bounce. Messrs Hewitt and Brown paced to the middle tasked with firing Bere’s reply. Sadly for The Bear’s case he fell in the 7th over after facing a lifting delivery. Meanwhile Kev Brown was batting his way into form with some delightful strokes including a majestic flick off his pads for four through forward square leg. Yet he was chancing his arm with some risk laden shots through mid-off until he hit a knee high full toss straight to square leg and Bere were 51 for 2.

Inzamerritt soon departed for a 41 ball innings of 1, so Andy Kent was introduced with another opportunity to consolidate his form. There were some scary moments early on, but in tandem with Dean Rogerson, Kent put Bere’s innings back on the map. They realised 71 for the fifth wicket before Kent fell for a compact 27 leg before.

The stage was made and set for the arrival of The Black Book or Nick The Greek Carruthers. In no time at all, Carruthers and Rogerson had raised the over rate up and over the requirement, but Bere were losing wickets at key moments which was typified by the departures of both these players leaving Alan Green and Steve Cheeseman to contest the next phase.

The score was 145 for 7, and 34 runs were needed from ten overs. There were threatening clouds advancing from the West, so time was the key factor in the conclusion of the Bere innings. Some selective hitting, including a six over long-off from Cheeseman gave the restless non-participants a chance to rest easy. Green was his usual busy self ensuring the strike rotated, and with a quick single to point, Cheeseman and Green saw Bere home with 6.1 overs to spare and maximum points in the bag.


Bere’s elevated status coupled with their surge in form over recent weeks enabled them to climb to fourth in the league, and there was talk of the ‘p’ word for a brief moment. It is fair to say that Bere will not be contesting the likes of Portland et al in division one. So life in division two continued with the visit of Dorchester 2nds who had dropped below Bere into fifth. Although billed as a mid-table clash, this game was vitally important to the Bere cause.

The return to the BRACA was welcome on the back of a convincing win at Blandford. The Bere captain Peter ‘Gilersuriya’ Cheeseman had played a big part in preparing the ground for the match, and rarely has the old Rec looked in finer fettle. So with the covers off, the all essential toss resulted in a Bere win, and much to the relief of the home side, they batted first.

Russ ‘Eric, Shrek, Bear, Sludge’ Hewitt was looking to re-discover his form at the head of the order. With over 30 years experience between Hewitt and his partner-Kev Brown, it was likely that Bere would launch themselves in the hope of making a big score as the outfield was fast. During the early overs Bere had an unlikely ally in extras. The Dorchester bowlers were supplementing the total with copious amounts of wides and no-balls, giving the scoreboard an uncharacteristic look about it with Bere going along at 6 runs per over. Browner was out for 10 giving Dean ‘The Postman’ Rogerson centre stage again. He was batting on the back of a powerful fifty in the Evening League against Cheselbourne and a string of significant knocks catapulting him into the form of his life.

So Bere’s Man of the Moment and premier all-rounder shouldered the burden with The Bear for the 2nd wicket. They had to keep the momentum going to keep pace with the run requirement, as Bere’s compact ground demands a score of 220 or more when batting first. The Postman was dominating the bowling getting off the mark with a stock in trade clip through mid-wicket. He got encamped on ten runs facing a further 12 deliveries before setting off again. The Bear was content to pick the bad ball, and that was all that was needed considering that wickets were in hand. Their partnership proved to be the linchpin of the innings. It was 86 runs from 107 balls for the second wicket that enabled Bere to kick on to their more than useful total. The Bear registered his second fifty of the term in 148 minutes at the crease leaving the final run in to the chasers.

The unlikely pairing of Jimmy ‘Sgt Wilson’ Wilson Green and Dean Inzamerritt carried Bere hopes at the culmination of the innings. They added 43 runs to the cause hitting 18 runs a piece, with the running between the wickets resembling the ‘hare and the tortoise’ during the best of times. The visitors’ bowling had recovered to such an extent that they restricted Bere to 235 for 7 when a daunting total looked odds on.

Starting their reply, Dorchester were attacked with zest by Bere’s skipper, and Chris Holland struck with his first delivery when the visitors’ prolific opener edged onto leg stump giving Bere a dream start. Dorchester then were happy to consolidate by batting out maidens and taking the odd opportunity to progress their total, although their following faithful were growing ever impatient. A chance came and went off Steve Cheeseman when The Slickster spilled an catch at mid-off. Catches were to play a significant part during the rest of the contest.

The required rate grew steeper as the sun lowered with the Dorch’ reply going off the rails. Ironically it was Bere that helped them back into the game when they induced a run out from Andy ‘AK47’ Kent bringing together two of the away team’s most feared batsmen. Also Bere dropped further catches, some from unexpected quarters.

There was a bitter pill for Bere’s premier spin bowler to swallow as his 9 overs were punished mainly by Dorchester’s spin-loving number four who hit his final over for 28 runs swinging the game their. Bere then dropped catches numbers 7 and 8 to complete a miserable day in the outfield, but a couple of wickets at key moments from Steve Cheeseman moved the pendulum once again.

In spite of all their hitting and Bere’s fumbling, Dorchester still require 11 runs per over going into the final two. It was Chris Holland who was tasked with stemming the flow, and thankfully he went for 5 runs giving Bere a morale boosting 14 run win, in spite of the away team only losing 4 wickets in a high scoring encounter, and decidedly a day for the batters.


The gloves had certainly come off for Bere’s inaugural season in the ‘new’ division two since promotion. Progression from the division’s basement has been meteoric winning four successive games. The visit of Broadstone 2nds was another crucial cog in Bere’s wheel of survival, and Bere’s erudite captain-Gilersuriya was eager to reverse the result from the first game of the season when Bere crashed and were sunk by 125 runs in the Delph Wood mud.

A batting nirvana was anticipated with the track as flat as an Inzamerritt pizza and the outfield suitably carpet-like. The away captain decided on batting first as yet another toss was lost by Bere’s bewildered skipper. His luck has deserted him of late. Broadstone possessed an arsenal of powerful hitters, including Bere friend and rival of years past-Simon Goldsack. The former Wareham and PDC player opened the batting with Bere’s fielders being aware of their responsibilities.

An experiment with spin was Bere’s masterplan as The Postman was presented with the new ball in tandem with the returning Rick Davis who had remarkably recovered from a rather nasty hamstring pull following a visit to the club’s faith healer. He recorded an early success trapping Goldsack in front for a breezy 11, leaving Bere having to concentrate on removing Broadstone’s captain who is in the form of his life.

Bowlers were tried, and came and went yet the visiting side were asserting themselves on the game with an awesome presence. Nick ‘Slickster’ Cheeseman was brought in to break a burgeoning second wicket partnership. The Slick’s probing length and drift was bringing the batsmen forward, and a stumping appeal was turned down. It was an indifferent decision that effected the outcome of the whole match.

Bere had to hail themselves up from the floor eventually bagging the second wicket with the score on 113, yet Bere still had a mountain to climb as 26 overs remained and 8 wickets intact. Damage limitation was key as Bere looked to minimise the run count and gain points into the bargain. In the final analysis the wickets were shared around, with a stunning catch from Andy Kent running round from deep mid-wicket, followed by a tidy four over spell from Bere’s premier pasty-chucker Jimmy Green. He bagged two late buffet wickets out of Broadstone’s colossal total of 266. The visitors had effectively batted Bere out of contention continuing their progress away from the bottom two.

A breakneck speed reply was desperately needed from Bere’s openers, Messrs. Hewitt and Brown. The run rate over the first ten overs was fairly modest with the Bear struggling to kickstart his innings. Big Kev Brown was always ready to play his shots, and he raced into the twenties and appeared bang on for a big score, but he was drawn into one drive too many and picked out mid-on with military precision.

Bere’s own weapon of mass destruction was being saved for number 7 in the batting yet it was The Postman and ladies’ favourite Nick Carruthers that steered Bere towards the batting points. There were stands of 29 and 41 for the 7th and 8th wickets with Bere’s wicket-keeper batsman nudging and bludgeoning his way to a 36 ball, 5 boundary half-century, and it was the mainstay of the Bere faltering innings. He was ably assisted by veteran campaigner Jimmy ‘Sgt. Wilson’ Green. In the final shake up Bere lost by a significant margin during a game with an absolutely vital turning point, however 9 points gained did not inflict too heavy a carnage on the overall divisional average.


Bere entered a fundamental phase of their season to date. They face two games on the road against first and second in the division. The previous week Swanage and Pimperne had slugged out a high scoring encounter with the latter triumphing to cement their position at the top of the pile. So with these games ahead, Bere were looking to take points off the pace setters. The first trip was to sunny Swanage, and the heat was turned up for a sweaty encounter.

Bere were depleted with the loss of Chris ‘Mountain Man’ Holland who was away on wedding duty (namely his own), so congratulations to Chris and his wife. Up stepped Hristo Oram as an eleventh hour replacement as a strike bowler despite nursing a long term knee injury. He got the first bite of the cherry opening the bowling with Rick Davis. They notched the first success that all of Bere were hoping for. Davis was bowling with accuracy and was frustrating Swanage’s busy and early batters. He managed to remove arguably the division’s most accomplished batsmen when Nick Carruthers expertly took a high catch off a faint top edge behind the stumps. Bere were in raptures and the home side were visibly shaken.

Swanage rebuilt their innings over the 12-25 overs before Kev Brown pouched another trademark catch at slip, and Bere’s bowlers had their tails up. The home side were then happy to put the shutters up from that point on. Nick ‘Slick’ Cheeseman had lost his catching confidence of late, generally being a reliable pair of hands in the club. He thankfully held on to a sharp chance at short gully to remove another Swanage dangerman.

Bere’s bowlers turned in their finest performance of the season with an imposing display backed up by some tight fielding mostly typified by Rick Davis’ predatory prowlings at fine-leg and long-off. Bere had to constantly pinch themselves as the home side mustered and reeled on 117 for 8 off their 45 overs.

The Bere innings was off to a flyer with Russ ‘Sludge’ Hewitt forcing a boundary through extra cover, closely followed by Kev Brown’s assault on the bowling. The boundary maker from Bovington drove and pulled one four after another, giving the gallery a display of deft and pure power strokeplay. This season had been a so-so effort with the bat, but he delivered this time, tearing into the home attack.

The required run rate was a shade over two an over, but Bere steamed along at over 5 per over before Hewitt was leg before for 16, closely followed by the departures of The Postman (first ball) and Andy ‘AK 47’ Kent who has fired blanks in his last couple of innings. It was to be Browner’s day though as he plundered 15 fours out of a 75 ball, 110 minute 79 not out. Bere romped home by 7 wickets with 20.1 overs left when the Slickster clipped a winning four over cover.

It was just typical for the Bere cause that Browner will miss the next three games owing to holiday, but for the moment at least Bere savoured an unexpected triumph against a powerful side full of promotion aims. With all things considered, Bere could go into the trip to runaway leaders Pimperne with a good spirits and a heavy heart.


Pimperne have deservedly led the way in division two so far this term, and during this contest they gave Bere more than one or two reminders as to why they are the champions elect. Bere’s selectors were posed with one or two problems as batsman Kevin Brown and Andy Kent were missing from the line-up. So the returning Chris Holland and youth prospect Shane Hewitt were drafted in as replacements for the trip to the North Dorset haunt.

Bere and Pimperne had maintained an on/off rivalry since the early nineties and a competitive encounter is always awaited as their paths crossed once more. The home clash for Bere was washed out in the depths of a miserable May, since then Bere have achieved mid-table status and Pimperne have swept all before them. Bere skipper Peter Gilersuriya’s luck was once again not present as he lost the toss and his charges were invited to field first.

The artificial pitch at Pimperne has always been lively and scores in excess of 250 were an absolute must if any team were confident of defending. The home openers had a fearful reputation and had battered attacks all through the division, so the Bere camp feared the worst. The first exchanges were honours even with Bere's bowlers stemming the tide of runs, yet the home side were building a solid base, before the first wicket fell with the score on 71. It was a catch at mid-on from Nick 'The Slick' Cheeseman off beardman Rick Davis.

The first half of the innings saw Bere grab 4 further wickets leaving the hosts on 135 for 5 with 15 overs left. A final third onslaught from Pimperne effectively ended the contest as they pillaged 130 runs off the last overs with Bere's depleted bowling force sustaining a battering, leaving the arena dejected yet but with a glimmer of hope. All faint flickerings of hope were soon extinguished in the flurry of overs after tea. Pimperne's main speed merchant was drafted in to open the bowling down the hill and with a headwind. Bere's top batsmen were quivering in their boots when they saw the raw pace being delivered.

They slumped to 13 for 3, with Dean Rogerson left at the wicket facing a well directed barrage. His 21 was well crafted and in the face of some of the most hostile bowling faced by Bere in recent years. They had no answer to the onslaught and were soon reeling on 79 for 5 until Shane Hewitt and Steve Cheeseman paired up in the middle. They took full advantage of the first and second change bowling to graft out a 7th wicket stand of 59 which eclipsed the previous best that had stood for 7 years. Cheeseman nudged past his half century with a clipped two down to wide point, and Bere had managed to limit the damage to 165 allout with 3 overs left. So 7 points were gained in the hunt for safety.


Match cancelled due to heavy and steady downpour.


cricket sponsors

Made with Nvu