Cricket Centenary badge
Bere Regis Cricket Club
This website is
sponsored by:

Match reports and Results 2005

The cricket team now have their own dedicated web site go to:

Match Reports upto May 2005

Bere Regis V Shaftesbury 30 April 2005

Bad weather had rendered the opening day of the Dorset Cricket League season into chaos for the organisers. Bere’s tireless groundstaff had other ideas, and were determined to host the season’s curtain raiser against Shaftesbury. So with the ground declared fit, it was decided to go ahead on the artificial wicket. Bere’s squad has suffered the temporary loss of seamer Rick Davis, so it was greeted with great relief that Ian Hardy announced his return to the Bere fold. Skipper, Andy Kent lost the toss and took his charges into the field. So after some frantic preparations Bere took the hallowed turf. The visitors were keen to make an impression have been narrowly relegated last time out. They started with some nerves, and Tim Willcocks struck when a short-pitched ball was skied and punched by Hardy who was patrolling the deep-fine leg boundary. Bere were suddenly in seventh heaven with Shaftesbury reeling on 28 for 3 with only 10 overs gone. Later on both Willcocks and Hardy collected two wickets apiece before champion, re-born spinner Chris Oram bagged a ‘fivefor’ for the second opening game running. His deft usage of flight and direction has provided the skipper with a useful addition to the armoury. A jug now awaits. Shaftesbury’s innings closed on 117 allout and Bere tucked into their tea witnessing a staggering amount of sandwich fare by Slick and company. The amount naturally had its effect as Bere struggled to get out of the blocks for their innings. The Shaftesbury bowlers were plying a decent line and length and Kent and Russell Hewitt batted out the first 15 overs before disaster struck and two wickets fell in two overs. The Bere ship listed on 44 for 2. Big hitting Kev Brown came to the crease and clubbed a brisk 21 from 31 balls, but when he left Bere were back in the driving seat. The two Deans (Rogerson & Merritt) took over the seat, with Rogerson making all the running in an unbroken stand of 49 off a tiresome 19.2 overs. Bere captured 20 points.

Broadstone V Bere Regis 1 May 2005

It was business as usual for Matt Tatchell as he picked up the baton from his all conquering 2004 season by ending Broadstone’s hopes on the opening day of the season. The weather was its usual playful self and threatened the likelihood of the game, but all credit to the Delph Wood staff as the game went ahead. Bere’s bowlers got amongst the wickets with Dean Rogerson (4-42) and the evergreen Reg Fripp returning figures of 3-30 at the start of his umpteenth season in Bere colours. The home side were reduced to 88 for 7, until a late flurry of runs took them to 117 allout. In reply Bere lost early wickets in the shape of Paul Fripp, Texas Bennett and keeper Shane Hewitt. Tatchell hammered 9 runs for his 58 not out, and with assistance from Rogerson (22no) they got past the target with 16 overs to spare.

Bournemouth & Old Bournemouthians V Bere Regis 7 May 2005

Most of Bere’s Saturday XI got caught up in traffic on their way to Chapel Gate to face Bournemouth 3rds. Bere’s batting got snarled in a different type of jam at the top order with their top six batsmen being shot out for 62 between them. Having won the toss, skipper Andy Kent elected to bat on a green but flat track made for batting. It was another inhospitable day with temperatures in the mid-late fifties at best. The Regis were rocking on 85 for 6 until and Chris Oram and Tim Willcocks rescued the innings with a stand of 56 for the seventh wicket. Further stands catapulted Bere to a respectable 187 and kept them in the hunt for a second consecutive win. The Bournemouth reply started at a canter but the momentum gathered from the 15th over as Bere’s bowing wilted with an eventual total of 17 wides being bowled. Bere spin twins Oram and The Postman gave Bere some hope with two wickets a piece, but the home side had the edge with wickets and experience in hand despite their late shaky part of the innings. A vibrant spell from Willcocks could not prevent them from winning with 2 balls to spare.

Sturminster & Hinton V Bere Regis 8 May 2005

A typical Dave Scott innings proved in vain, and was not the catalyst for a second Bere victory in Division 3 at an Arctic Sturminster Newton. He dominated in a stand of 46 with Bere’s ebullient skipper Pete Gilersuriya who notched an important 20. Earlier Bere’s top order were removed for 29 runs between them and Bere slumped to 34 for 5, but veteran campaigners Reg Fripp and Gilersuriya steadied the boat before Scott’s heroics. In all Bere’s innings did lurch above three figures, with Stur’s extras column providing the second top score of 29. Bere’s bowlers struck a blow when Stur had 15 on the board when Gren Elphinstone-Davis trapped their opener leg before. The next victim went to The Buffet King Dean Rogerson, and with the score on 58 for 2 Bere had a tentative foothold on the game. What followed was a lesson in bad fielding as they spurned five glorious chances by spilling vital catches. This enabled Stur’s number two to smash a game-winning 55 including 4 fours. Late wickets from E-Davis and Tatchell promised a grandstand finish, but this did not ruin the home side’s day as they breezed home by 3 wickets and 10 balls left.

Cattistock V Bere Regis 10 May 2005

Bere’s 2005 Evening League adventure began with a trip to friendly rivals Cattistock. Dean Rogerson was re-installed as captain for his second term of office. Cattistock’s famous ground, ringed with magnificent Horse Chestnuts was resplendent at the evening sun sank, although there was an unseasonal nip in the air. Bere’s now veteran opener-Tom Bennett re-assumed his place at the top of Bere’s order with Slick Cheeseman after Rogerson decided on batting. Cheeseman soon departed after gloving a lifting delivery to short square leg. He was followed immediately by Paul Fripp who ran himself out after calling for a chancy third run down to third man. Bennett as ever was standing firm and despite taking one in the chest for the cause, he added 76 for the third wicket with the classy Shane Hewitt. The home side’s ground fielding was exemplary and Bere had to fight for every run, and they finally compiled 111 from a reduced number of overs-18. Hewitt and Bennett both hit forties before falling to the same bowler. The Cattistock innings stuttered at first with Bere’s bowlers pegging them back in the early overs. Terry Furlong grabbed a scalp in his third over, and the skipper had the fielders in buoyant mood. Nevertheless a couple of sharp catches were dropped, but despite losing early wickets, four out of five Cattistock batsmen reached their twenties. Bere’s skipper bowled one delivery in the match, a feat which he produced with devastating effect at home to Shaftesbury. This time he was despatched to backward square leg, and the home side deservedly romped home with 14 balls to spare.

Fontmell Magna V Bere Regis 15 May 2005

It has been some time since Bere travelled to Fontmell Magna. Almost twenty years have elapsed since Messrs. Mullins, Burgess, Hewitt (K) and Tuck ventured onto the field at Fontmell. After suffering a reverse at Sturminster & Hinton, which was largely of their own making, the Sunday XI were keen to despatch their opposition. Bere batted first on a low, slow track that suited accurate bowling. A steady and patient opening stand of 57 between Paul Fripp skipper Gilersuriya formed the base for an assault on the home side’s bowling. Matt Tatchell blasted 27 before departing with Shane Hewitt taking up the reins, then Bere stumbled to 130 for 4, which converted into an eventual 161 for 9 from their 45 overs. Bere’s bowlers were in no mood for a long stay, and they reduced the home side to an astonishing 2 for 6. Gren Elphinstone-Davis and Tatchell claimed four wickets a piece as Bere romped to a 116 run win margin.

Bere Regis V Puddletown Rugby Club 17 May 2005

For the third year in succession, a home draw in the knockout cup was secured at the Dorchester Evening Cricket League’s Annual General Meeting. This time it was home to Puddletown Rugby Club of Division Three fame. The 2004 beaten finalists await the winners in the next round. Bere’s batting line-up was bolstered by run machine Matt Tatchell, so captain Dean Rogerson batted first again with the intention of running up a formidable total. The Slickster was absent with lumbago from pastie lifting, so the order was re-shuffled presenting Paul Fripp with the chance to open. Sadly he top edged a short one outside off stump straight to third man without troubling the scorers. This was to set the tone as two more frontline batters picked out fielders with laser guided precision. This left Bere on 58 for 3, but there were plenty of overs in the tank. The fourth wicket brought Dean Rogerson and Tom Bennett together and inside 13 overs they added an unbeaten stand of 130. The captain’s innings of 75 included 5 sixes and 4 fours from balls. Bennett’s contribution was typically circumspect, but his own 60 came from deliveries, and harvested fours. The inhospitable May weather did little to deter the local faithful, and a stranger in the crowd turned out to be the return of the club Chairman, fresh from his winter sojourn to Switzerland for an advanced course of yodelling. As the temperature dropped and talk of cuckoo clock collections faded in the gloom, Bere set an imposing 188 off their 18 overs. Puddletown RC took the attack to Bere's bowlers and were in the hunt for the first six overs with some powerful hitting from their top order. Bere’s attack closed in with Steve Cheeseman (2-14) and Iain Macklin (3-21) reducing the visitors to 72 for 6. They batted out the final overs in some pretty ‘un-cricket like’ conditions, and their game reply ended on 85 for 8. Bere will face a tough challenge in the next round.

Dorchester II V Bere Regis 21 May 2005

Match cancelled due to rain.

Bere Regis V Swanage 22 May 2005

Match cancelled due to rain.

Bere Regis V Cerne Valley 23 May 2005

Once again the gloomy weather of late reduced the number of overs for the Evening League visit of Cerne Valley. A Bere innings dominated by the captain Dean Rogerson was to prove the difference between a respectable score and a target not worth defending. His knock was one of his truly great efforts with Bere desperate for a win having only won 1 in 7 games played. The innings of 71 included 10 fours and 2 sixes from 50 balls. Only three other Bere batters contributed to a total of 123 off their overs, which gave the attack something to defend. A weakened Cerne set about their chase with a measured approach before Steve Cheeseman (2-12) and Gren Elphinstone-Davis (1-28) restricted them to 41 for 3, and soon it was 43 for 5 as the Mack Attack of Peter and Iain accounted for the middle order. After some stoic defence Cerne’s innings ended on 73 for 7 with Bere recording a re-vitalising win in the league for the first time since July 2004.

Bere Regis V Milton Abbey School 24 May 2005

A frantic week of cricket was guaranteed with the second of three consecutive games being the very friendly visit of Milton Abbey School. Former Tour Organiser-Jim Green revels in arranging the game, and this year he was rewarded with a rare break in the clouds as the teams and supporters were treated to a warm, sunny evening. The teams slugged out a cracking encounter on the Bere plastic. Green was the skipper, opening bowler and caterer for the night, and he won the toss after agreeing a twenty over contest and invited the away team to bat. They were soon into their stride with 56 for the first wicket, and an ominous total was on the cards, as Bere favourite Simon Kibler revved up the middle part of the innings for the visitors. Balls were disappearing to all parts. A late bout of sixes hoisted Milton’s score above 150, and there should be a special mention of Bere’s bowlers-Green, Oran Elphinstone-Davis and Pete Macklin who all stuck to their task during the onslaught. Bere had a tough ask of reaching 153 to win. This was put further into perspective as Milton opened the bowling with former County Cricket and First Class star Owen Parkin. Bere’s opening batsmen were battered and bamboozled for the opening 6 overs, and were reduced to 23 for 3. An imposing 130 was needed from 14 overs. Skipper Green drafted in a late replacement in the shape of Guy Vere-Nicoll, a Milton Abbey pupil. It was his batting prowess in tandem with Peter Macklin who together put on a stand of 105 in 12.3 overs. Macklin departed with 56 including 5 boundaries and 2 sixes. It was the turning point of the match as brother Iain Macklin smote a typical 12 off 4 balls as Bere won from the last ball. A great night for all and a special note of thanks must go to Alan Green for his all-round organisation and post-match catering.

Bere Regis V Hazelbury Bryan 25 May 2005

A rare glimpse of Kevin Brown’s batting talents proved not quite enough when Bere met very friendly old rivals Hazelbury Bryan. Some eyes were focussed on the dramatic events of the Champions’ League Final, but no so Brown (46) and Paul Fripp (26) who added 63 for Bere’s fourth wicket as they stumbled and lurched towards 19 for 3 before some order was restored. Brown’s innings contained 3 fours and 2 sixes from 35 balls. A late assault from Nick ‘Slick’ Cheeseman and Iain ‘Big Mac’ Macklin was enough to launch Bere past three figures. The Hazelbury bowlers turned some tidy performances, backed up by some solid out-fielding with four catches. In short the Bere skipper felt he was 20-30 runs shy of his pre-match target. The game was reduced to 18 overs per side, and Hazelbury were in no mood for hanging around as they rattled up 35 for the opening stand until a sharp catch for the Slickster sparked a Bere mini-revival and their most productive passage of play. Four Hazelbury wickets fell for 9 runs, with the Big Mac and Terry Furlong taking 2 for 32 each, but Hazelbury were spurred on and never looked back as Will Howes (50 not out) and Jamie Hart (33 not out) claimed the visitors’ first win at Bere in the league.

Bere Regis V Shroton 28 May 2005

The rampaging weather had prematurely stopped Bere’s season after cancellations against Dorchester 2nds and Pimperne. This time out the clouds stayed at home for the visit of old rivals Shroton. They came with a purpose and a younger looking side that meant business. Their opening attack bowled with pace, accuracy and venom, and Bere’s line-up had no answer to any of that, barring Kev Brown who struck a characteristically boundary laden 40. His support however was thin on the ground as no fewer that six Bere batsmen failed to trouble the scorers, with extras chipping in a second highest score of 21. It was a bad day at the office with the beleaguered home side mustering only 111 with 11 overs left in the tank. A calculated yet comfortable reply was expected from Shroton on a sluggish Bere track. They came racing out of the blocks intent on destruction and an early night at The Cricketers, and despite an early loss they cantered to victory by six wickets with Bere scratching their heads.

Bere Regis V Christchurch 29 May 2005

Bere were humbled by an exceptional batting performance by Christchurch on their own track at Hurn Bridge. At the start it was evident that the home side had an embarrassment of riches in the batting department. They were invited to bat first by the Sunday XI Captain Pete Gilersuriya. They did not disappoint as they accumulated a massive 274 for 8 on the vast expanse at Hurn. Bere’s standout bowlers were the evergreen Reg Fripp (3-36) and Nick White (2-67), but extras proved a problem as they equalled the second top score of 37. Bere’s batters were eager to cash in on a good wicket and a typical whirlwind knock of 38 from Matt Tatchell got Bere off to a flyer. A further 59 runs were sadly added for the last nine wickets to fall with 4 Bere batsmen being in the running for the ‘Interactive Duck Award’ and with no sign of A Green mentioned.

Bere Regis V Portway CC 30 May 2005

The first touring party of the 2005 season rolled into Bere on Spring Bank Holiday Monday. Bere’s opponents were Portway from near Andover, Hants. The fixture was made through good contacts between the Portway Tour Operator and the club’s Treasurer. Mr Peeks gave up yodelling for a day and had prepared a pitch of delight prompting salivating praise from the visitors. Bere tour skipper Dean ‘The Postman’ Rogerson followed tour etiquette by allowing the tourists the choice of batting first, presumably in case of need of respite from hangovers cultivated in The Dorothy Inn, Weymouth during the previous 24-48 hours. Reg Fripp was bowling his miserly medium-slow pacers from The Restoration End and for all the world thought that he had claimed the first wicket to fall when a catch was offered to heartthrob Graeme Price at mid-off. He chested the ball and spilled it, then suddenly awoke realising that a run out was on the cards. Finally Fripp whipped off the bails as well as the buttons on his shirt and Portway were 4 for 1. Big Mac grabbed a catch to give Bere their next victim before Portway gradually clawed their way back into the match, with their number 4-Adam Parsonage hitting this season’s first ton at the BRACA. It was his patience combined with brutal power at the end of his stay that proved the mainstay of the Portway total. All this left Bere a target of 171 to win. Openers Paul Fripp and Texas Tom Bennett strutted across the sun-kissed turf with the former returning earlier that he would have liked with 8 runs to his name. His partner with the now distinctive red baseball cap worked diligently with Bere’s no. 3, Nick ‘The Slickster’ Cheeseman in a stand worth 65. They both perished within 17 runs of each other, and soon Bere’s hopes crumbled as they reached 126 for 5. Steve Cheeseman and Graeme Price pushed the score along to 157 leaving the resurgent Nick White and Big Mac to bag the victory. However despite a monster six from the latter into the Legion, Bere’s tally was six runs shy. A tense encounter between two evenly matched teams both on the field and in the bar.

Made with Nvu